Monday 18 May 2015

Steroids - phew. Thankyou.

Steroids. They've given me my life back. Hubby feels like he has his wife back and the kids are loving having a Mummy making cookies and walking them into the village and back. I have to remember to pace myself as I do tend you over do it (always been part of my personality) but I am enjoying having energy and being, largely, pain free. It's the energy I'm enjoying the most. I just have this nagging in the back of my mind, what will happen when the dose reduces again? Every week I reduce it by 5mg, this week a little bit of pain and tiredness has crept in, but nothing I can't handle. In 2 days time I reduce it again to 20mg daily, then 15, 10, 7.5...then what? I hope and cross my fingers and toes that the injectable Methotrexate will prove to be more effective with the Hydroxychloroquine then the MTX tablets. Whilst I'm on the subject of MTX injections- OUCHIE when I inject into my thigh! Wow. Glad I've done my 2 weeks of those, back onto my tummy now. Anyway...where was I...oh, yes, Otherwise it'll be the triple therapy of Sulphasalazine added in. One thing that I keep thinking back to is a conversation hubby had with my consultant regarding the medication and how it works. I remember Rheumy saying that the RA meds should put me into remission and I should be as well on them as I am after Steroid injections. Interesting that I haven't responded to the steroid injections as well as the tablets! Who knows! I'm using this time of the Prednisalone Honeymoon to enjoy being a Mummy, cooking cookies with the kids, walking with them to the local village and tidying up the house, catching up on the chores that have amounted over the last few months. I've started cooking again, which I have always found therapeutic and I'm enjoying being a Mummy, Wife, Sister and Friend again. 
I am worried and scared about reducing the Prednisalone but I do understand why it must be done. Worrying about where the next pain would be, taking tramadol, relying on pain relief to get through the day, not to mention the relentless fatigue, feeling like I'm wading through treacle, the stiffness and swelling is an exhausting way to live. 
But in the meantime, I will enjoy my Prednisalone Honeymoon time. Full stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment